Thursday, August 20, 2009

"I do not believe in God because I do not believe in Mother Goose." -Clarence Darrow

This post is tough for me to write. What follows is a confession of sorts - or, more accurately, a coming out. It is in regard to my faith, which, for many, is a very personal and private aspect in their lives. My faith is no different in that aspect, which is why I’ve decided to discourse on said topic on the World Wide Web.

Recently I have come to a conclusion about my personal faith. Growing up in the Methodist church, surrounded by family, God and religion have always been a very important part of my life. However, I have always been told it is important to question my faith, to explore why I believe what I believe. This combination of a strong faithful childhood and an ever-inquisitive mind has precipitated my latest epiphany. This revelation (pardon the pun) is my firm belief that I am not sure whether there is or is not a higher power.

Let me repeat that: I am positive in my irresoluteness of ideology. I have no idea if there is a god, or, if there is, whether said deity is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, or omni-anything. There is nothing (except material evidence or an act of God) that could dissuade me from solid belief in the possibility of something beyond our current reality.

I realize such strong views may alienate some of my readers. I understand. It can be hard to comprehend my steadfast creed of indecision. I adhere firmly to the doctrine of the noncommittal, and for that I will never apologize. In fact, I am prepared to wage a holy war of indifference, an apathetic jihad, if you will. This is not a fight that I particularly care about, but it could very well be the key to the world’s salvation (or maybe it’s not).

Though to this point in my life I have been rather unsure of my specific religious beliefs, I can assure the world with no degree of uncertainty that I will never know for sure about the existence (or lack thereof) of any higher power and therefore will most likely never have any specific religious belief. I am absolutely positive my state of agnosis will remain steadfast until I die and rot in the ground (or meet my Maker, who really knows?).

I hope this post has helped clear up my thoughts and feelings on my faith. Over the years I have undergone many phases in my life ranging from devout Christian to positive Deist to wannabe Jew. Now that I have finally solidified my belief in lack of any positive belief, my desire is that I will be excluded from and invited to the appropriate groups, clubs, societies and associations. I only wish for the proper forms of discrimination against myself.

2 comments:

  1. No one cares about your fucking religion. Did you honestly just post this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a blog you dumb mother fucker, you apparently cared enough to find this blog and then read this entry, you scrotum faced, taint flavored turd. if you don't care then stop reading.

    ReplyDelete